Saturday 14 April 2012

Ruined My Life is not exactly Ronseal


Points for epic photos

I've been absent for a while as my laptop is a horrendous peace of junk and I've been busy/lazy. This one will be short as I'll be talking about DZ Deathrays ridiculously brilliant Ruined My Life-EP. Now I first stumbled across this band on a couple of 'one to watch 2012' lists dotted around on this here internets. When I skim those lists I generally check out the bands with great names, shallow and very rarely effective but I'm a sucker for a good name. Now if you are going to name yourself after a bad-ass piece of equipment an evil genius may use to melt a face or ten, then you better be backing that up with some bad-ass music that some evil genius could use to melt a face or ten. Long story short these brilliant Aussie bastards do that and then some.

I've tried to find out a little bit about this band to give you some background but to be honest there isn't a great deal out there, at least not on the first few pages of a Google search anyways. What info I can find is that DZ Deathrays comprise of two gents, a drummer named Simon Ridley, and a guitarist by the name of Shane Parsons. They hail from Brisbane, Australia and are signed to I Oh You records (home of interesting punk band Bleeding Knees Club).

I believe this short six track EP is a taster for a an album due out this year so obviously it remains to be seen what they can do over a full length release, that said I thinks it's a pretty good bet that any album that's on the horizon is going to be pretty raw.

Ruined My Life kicks off with 'Blue Blood' which could easily be a Death From Above 1979 track, seriously, if someone had played me this track and told me it was a new track from DFA 1979 then you'd be reading about how awesome the new Death From Above stuff was. Like all the songs on this EP, it's a pretty aggressive track and I can imagine it's a an absolute riot at a live show. The next two songs 'Licking Knives' and 'Yeah' carry on in a similar way and are no less rockingly awesome. The songs are a natural progression from the opener and work more as a collective than they possibly do as individual songs, kind of how the first few Raveonettes albums worked. Next up is 'The Mess Up' which is a massive track that words won't quite do justice to. You might as well just pop your ear-holes around the embedded video below.


This song needs to be played on your stereo with the bass turned all the way up, unfortunately I can't found a link to your stereo so tinny youtube will have to suffice. I have nearly destroyed my steering wheel so many times because of this song! If any of you see my driving and it appears like I'm yelling at myself and smacking my steering wheel please do not call any white jacketed men to take me away, it's a safe bet that this song is blaring out.

'Teeth' follows on and that's another song that gets me pumped to the point of looking like an absolute end. Again if you see me driving around apparently having a seizure, don't panic, I've just got to this track and I'm getting my awkward rock on. 'Gebbie Street' finishes the EP off and is a bit funkier than the other tracks, and the guitar a little less distorted. It has a nice mixture of the screaming and singing that Shane Parsons seems so adept at.

All in all this is 20 minutes of some truly great music and you should run along and pick it up now. It's available on that there iTunes for £3.49 so go get it. Once the album drops I have a suspicion that these guys might just blow up, so go buy it before iTunes realise they could charge more if they wanted.

I'm out

Mechagodzeala


No comments:

Post a Comment