Tuesday 6 March 2012

Ou est le Jean Claude?

He's right here, rocking it!

This post is dedicated to one of the best films of the last few years, and before any smart-ass asks, NO! No I haven't used the wrong picture for this post. The film I'm talking about does in fact star Jean Claude Van Damme and he is playing... Jean Claude Van Damme!

We're talking about the appropriately titled JCVD, brilliantly directed by the unknown Mabrouk El Mechri. Jean Claude plays an exaggerated version of himself, an out of work, out of money, has-been action star going through the motions and in the midst of a custody battle for his daughter. Whilst visiting his native Belgium he pops to the local post office to pick up some cash. Unfortunately for Monsieur Van Damme he walks into an armed robbery and is soon taken hostage. In the ensuing stand-off with police both the media and the police assume that it's Van Damme that's actually responsible for the robbery because why wouldn't he be? He needs the cash so why the hell wouldn't he? What unravels is a character driven movie that is funny, heart-warming, and intensely personal.

The year this film came out was the year everyone was campaigning for Mickey Rourke to get an Oscar, which ultimately he didn't, for his role in The Wrestler. Now Mickey Rourke did get a nomination and it's for that reason that I can only assume that nobody at The Academy was sent a copy of this film because Jean Claude Van Damme, at the very least, deserved a nomination for this performance. Now I know they'll be some of you out there assuming I've actually lost my damn mind. Am I really saying that Jean Claude Van Damme, star of Bloodsport, deserved Oscar recognition? This guy right here...

...That guy right there! I kid you not, his performance is a masterclass in laying yourself at the mercy of the camera. Van Damme did exactly what Mickey Rourke did in The Wrestler and he did that shit better! The only reason he didn't get the recognition he deserved is that people don't forget that this is a chap who has spent most of his film career doing things like punching out snakes as above. Jean Claude has a lot of baggage. I like most people of a similar age to me grew up on Van Dammage, I used to eat up the ridiculousness of those films. Van Damme would be some kind of bad-ass maverick, he beat up a ruck of people, he got the girls (usually followed by a flash of his bum), and he did the splits.They were good times, apart from his insistence on showing his arse, but they were also a long time ago. In recent years The Muscles from Brussels has made a slew of straight to DVD, made in Romania, pieces of shit that have tried hard to recapture the glory days and failed miserably. It's probably fair to be wary of Van Damme but you'd be horribly unfair to yourself if you didn't take a chance on this film.

I should probably point out that this film is mainly French, they do speak a bit of English but for the most part Jean Claude is rocking his native tongue. I think this helps him to pull off a very natural performance and obviously it get rid of the stumbling over English words that have often popped up in his films. The film is full of dark comedy and some real laugh out loud moments, try and watch the cigarette scene without cracking up, you won't do it. The real stand out moment of the film though has to be the five minute monologue Jean Claude delivers straight at the camera. For five minutes Jean Claude puts all his cards on the table and shows the torment he feels inside. Now I can honestly say that this is possibly the greatest monologue I have ever seen and while we're being honest about things, I'll admit that I damn near cried during this scene. All six or seven times I've seen it! For those five minutes alone Van Damme deserved an Oscar nomination or at the very least the respect of film fans everywhere. I can't rate this film highly enough and I would recommend picking it up if you get the chance (I have a copy going spare since I got the Blu Ray if anyone is interested?). If I haven't swung you with this post and you're not tempted by this film then please listen to Mr Nicolas Cage.                      



Cheers for reading

Mechagodzeala

No comments:

Post a Comment